ICE – “In case of emergency” for your mobile phone

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn’t know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency?

In case of emergency (ICE) is a programme that enables first responders, such as paramedics, fire fighters, and police officers, to identify victims and contact their next of kin to obtain important medical information. The programme was conceived in the mid-2000s and promoted by British paramedic Bob Brotchie in May 2005. It encourages people to enter emergency contacts in their mobile phoneaddress book under the name ‘ICE’. Alternatively, a person can list multiple emergency contacts as ‘ICE1’, ‘ICE2’, etc.

The concept of ‘ICE‘ is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name ‘ICE’ (In Case Of Emergency).

In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialling the number you have stored as ‘ICE’.

Please share this information. It really could save your life, or put a loved one’s mind at rest.

If you would like to like to read about our range of First Aid Courses in Dublin please click here.

Can Children perform First Aid?

We came across an article on irishhealth.com quoting from a Norwegian study which showed that even kids in crèches and Montessori schools can learn very basic First Aid skills.

The study proved that 4 and 5 year old kids can easily be taught how to put somebody into the recovery position and how to open an airway. This combined with the knowledge how to call an ambulance can make the difference between life and death.

Research has unveiled time and time again that the reason why people shy away from attempting First Aid is the fear of doing something wrong and the lack of confidence.

During our courses we always teach “It’s better to do something than nothing”. If you are afraid to do CPR you can be the one who runs for the AED or the person who calls the ambulance. Even those simple tasks are vital part of the chain of survival.

 

So how up to date are you with your First Aid skills?

If you would like to find further information on our First Aid Courses in Dublin click here.

Electrical Injuries

Adult electrical injuries usually occur in an occupational setting, whereas children are primarily injured in the household setting.
The spectrum of electrical injury is very broad, from minimal injury to severe multiorgan involvement.
[youtube]IG7PQOQEFmg[/youtube]
Types of electrical injuries:
  • Direct contact: Current passing directly through the body will heat the tissue causing electrothermal burns. It will typically cause an entrance and exit wound.
  • Electrical arcs: Current sparks are formed between objects of different electric potential that are not in direct contact with each other, most often a highly charged source and a ground. The temperature of an electrical arc can reach 2500-5000 C, resulting in deep thermal burns where it contacts the skin. These are high-voltage injuries.
  • Flame: Ignition of clothing causes direct burns from flames. Both electrothermal and arcing currents can ignite clothing.
Lightning – may set clothing on fire, knock a casualty down, or even cause instant death.
High voltage current – found in power lines and overhead high-tension (HT) cables. Contact with same is usually immediately fatal.Anyone who survives will have severe burns. High voltage electricity may jump (“arc”) up to 18. Materials such as dry wood or clothing will not protect you. The power must be cut off and isolated before you approach the casualty.
Low voltage current – as used in homes and workplaces, can cause serious injury or even death. Most electrical injuries that occur indoors are caused by faulty electrical equipment or careless use of electrical appliances. Handling an otherwise safe electrical appliance with wet hands, or when standing on a wet floor, greatly increases the risk of an electric shock.

First Aid Tips:

Casualty still in contact with electricity

  • DO NOT TOUCH THE CASUALTY IF STILL IN CONTACT WITH CURRENT!
  • Turn off electricity at fuse box or unplug the appliance.
  • Do not use anything metallic to break the circuit. Stand on something dry insulating material (i.e. phone book, wooden box, plastic mat.
  • Using something made of wood (i.e. broom) push the victims limbs away from the electrical source or push the source away from the casualty.
Casualty not in contact with electricity
  • If casualty is motionless, open the airway, check breathing and treat accordingly
  • Care for shock
  • care for electrical burns as you would a full-thickness burn
  • Call 999 or 112
If you have any questions or if you are interested in booking a place on one of our First Aid classes in Dublin please contact us or click here for further information. Watch out for our next topic in April – Meningitis.