Little Archie died after being crushed by a chest of drawers

Little Archie died after being crushed by a chest of drawers

Little Archie died after being crushed by a chest of drawers

Safety watchdogs have warned of the dangers of Ikea chests of drawers and wardrobes. This comes after two children were killed when they fell on to them in 2014. A similar tragic accident happened in Northern Ireland on 6th January 2016.

Archie Tafts, from the village of Cloughmills, Co Antrim, suffered fatal injuries in the incident at his home on Tuesday. It is understood the piece of furniture fell on top of him

Archie Tafts was described as a “lovely smiley wee fella” as hundreds of tributes were paid to the toddler from Co Antrim.

It is understood the two-year-old was being cared for at his home outside Cloughmills by a close family friend when the accident occurred.

An ambulance was called at 12.30pm on Tuesday after the chest of drawers fell on the toddler at the family home.

Little Archie was taken to Antrim Area Hospital but died later.

Please have a look at our website to find out more tips and advice how to child proof your home.

Childproofing around the house

The most common accidents in Ireland are falls 45%, being struck or hit by an object 35%, a strain 6% or a cut 4%.

Most accidents occur in or around the home, or in a sports area.

Many of the accidents that happen in and around the home can be avoided. By identifying and understanding potential accident risks in the home, you can take some basic safety steps that will keep your children safe and give you peace of mind.

Who is at risk?

Children aged between 0 and 4 years of age are most likely to have an accident in the home. Boys are more at risk than girls.

Use caution with furniture and fixtures

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), more than 16,000 children under the age of 5 went to the emergency room in 2006 with injuries caused when television sets, bookcases, and other furniture and appliances tipped over on them. Between 2000 and 2006, more than 130 young children died from furniture tip-overs.

Large or heavy bookcases, dressers, and appliances are real hazards: Bolt whatever you can to the wall. Push items like televisions back from the edge of the furniture they’re on or move them out of reach, and then secure them, too. Always put heavier items on bottom shelves and in bottom drawers to make furniture less top-heavy.

Babies start pulling up on furniture shortly after they start crawling. And when they learn how to climb, watch out! Some children scale counters, bookcases, and anything else they can grab on to. Place floor lamps behind other furniture so that their base is out of your child’s reach.

Keep dresser drawers closed when you’re not using them – they make perfect ladders. You need to be particularly careful to fully close file cabinet drawers, because pulling out one drawer could cause the cabinet to fall over.

Furniture corners are another common hazard, especially those found on coffee tables. Cover all sharp corners and hearth edges with bumpers to soften the impact if your child falls.



5 year old saves his dad with heart attack

5 year old saves dad after heart attack

5 year old saves his dad with heart attack


This story is a very good example that even small children can provide Basic First Aid. It’s thought by many people providing First Aid means dealing with major bleeding, road traffic accidents or CPR.

In reality Basic First Aid starts with simple things like calling the emergency services and staying with a casualty.

In this story from France a little boy aged 5 knew that his dad needed urgent help after suffering a heart attack. So he left his house in his pyjamas in the freezing cold to look for his mum.

Kevin-Djene was found cycling along a rural road in France without knowing where he was, only knowing he had to find his mother.

He was discovered at 10.30 at night shivering by motorist Jean-Francois Pinot, who alerted the authorities as he warmed up the youngster, ouest-France said.

When emergency services arrived, they managed to extract enough information from the boy to track down his house in 30 minutes.

Inside the home, in Saint-Pierre-la-Cour, east of Brittany, they found his father in cardiac arrest before rushing him to hospital for urgent medical treatment.

The story ended well even though that little boy never attended a First Aid course. He’s a little hero and we are sure his parents are very proud of him.

We mentioned before in one of our blogs that First Aid is no heart surgery. To read on this please click here.

We offer First Aid courses in Dublin for schools where we teach Basic First Aid to primary and secondary pupils. Please contact us if you want to find out more about our ‘First Aid courses in Dublin.



Dangers of batteries to children

Girl dies after swallowing battery over Christmas

Batteries can be lethal in the hands of young children

Batteries can be lethal in the hands of young children

This is a really tragic story that unfolded over Christmas 2015. It highlights the dangers of small batteries in the hand of babies and toddlers. You can find out more about this and what to do when you attend one of our First Aid courses in Dublin.

A two-year-old girl has died after swallowing a button battery in the US.

Brianna Florer’s grandfather described how she had a “perfect Christmas” with her family before suddenly starting to vomit blood and turn blue on 27 December.

Brianna Florer died days after swallowing a lithium battery

Brianna Florer died days after swallowing a lithium battery

Her parents called paramedics and she was taken to hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but Brianna died after two hours of emergency surgery attempting to stop the internal bleeding.

The results of Brianna’s autopsy have not yet been made public but Mr Vice said doctors told the family they believe the battery ate through an artery through the child’s oesophagus. 

Button batteries are the small, round, silver-coloured lithium batteries used in many electrical toys.

Advice by the NHS

The NHS advises anyone who believes their child may have swallowed one to take them to A&E immediately, saying that as well as being a choking hazard, the electrical current the batteries give out can cause burns if they become stuck.

An alert issued by NHS England said caustic soda created by the current can cause “severe tissue damage”, leading to burns, skin damage and “catastrophic haemorrhage”.

In the four years leading up to 2014, five cases of severe injury caused by button batteries had been identified in England, including one resulting in a child’s death.

“The risk affects all age groups, although most cases involve children under the age of six who mistake the battery for a sweet and older people with confusion or poor vision who mistake the battery for a pill,” an NHS spokesperson said.

Dr Mike Durkin, the NHS England Director of Patient Safety, released a warning to GPs and hospitals to ensure they were aware of the symptoms.

He said: “As these types of batteries are common in toys and gadgets that may be given as presents, the risk of children swallowing them increases during the Christmas period.”

We cover the risk of swallowing foreign objects as part of our First Aid courses in Dublin. Please contact to find out when we run our next First Aid courses in Dublin.



Christmas Tree Festival at Crinken Church, Shankill

On the first weekend in December 2015 our local church St James Church, Crinken,  held a Christmas Tree festival. As this is our parish church we decided to participate in the planning and organising of this event.

Christmas tree festival at Crinken Church

More than 40 trees were decorated by local schools, community groups, & businesses. From 6 foot natural fir trees, to sculpted ones made from books, tyres and other materials, each told, with a Bible Verse, a part of the Christmas story. The trees included the Shepherd’s Tree, the Journey Tree, the Good News Tree, & the Angel’s Tree.  It was a new way of retelling the Christmas Story in a unique & wonderful way that concluded the church’s 175th anniversary.

tree guitars tree aisle

We as First Aid For Everyone contributed by making up  our own tree which represented the hands that delivered baby Jesus. It was a joint effort that involved our children and a lot of fun.

Christmas tree by First Aid For Everyone

We offered our service for the 3 days to provide First Aid cover. As the festival started at 10am on Friday and didn’t finished till Sunday at 8pm we were very grateful for the help we received from volunteers from the Order of Malta as well as students from Loreto College Foxrock who received their First Aid training by us.

It was a truly amazing and magical experience for children as well as adults. Our church hoped for a few hundred visitors. Everybody involved in organising the event was blown away by the attendance. The final head count was over 5.000.

All the money raised will be go to fund the church’s “Storehouse”, which supplies people in need in the local community with food throughout the year.

We are very proud that we were part of this experience. Rumour has it that other churches in Dublin will “borrow” our church’s idea next year.